Friday, May 13, 2011

the simple life


I remember tightening the cap on my plastic, hand-me-down, strawberry shortcake thermos. Today, mom had given me a special treat to put inside…Hawaiian punch.  I tucked the thermos neatly inside my matching red lunchbox. I happily added my peanut butter & jelly sandwich along with a few other yummy treats.  Then, after giving mom a hug, I quickly ran across the street to eat a picnic lunch with my best friend.  We had made a fort using a little table, a few chairs and some old blankets. 

Life was so simple then.

What happened?

As I think over the span of my life, I am amazed at the journey.  The Lord has brought me on some exciting adventures these past few years. However, it seems that somewhere along the journey, I began to fail at appreciating the simple moments.  The simple moments like those I often experienced as a child: playing dress-up with my sisters, performing in Christmas pageants, eating grandma’s blackberry pie, roller-skating in the garage, and catching tadpoles in the pond up the street.  I often forget to enjoy the present moments around me…I rarely have those peaceful moments with no cares in the world, like I had as a child.

Things have changed.

You see, I am now an individual who is consistently looking forward.  I fail to stop and take in the moments around me.  During times of great celebration, I am often thinking about the next accomplishment I should pursue.  When I suffer from great loss or experience grief, I find myself discontent by the circumstances the Lord has brought into my life.  I am often thinking about ways I can change or fix these unfortunate situations.

Life has become so noisy.

I want to turn the volume down.

I just finished my Masters of Education at Azusa Pacific University.  At the end of my program one of my professors asked me what PERSONAL goals I had.  This was a wise question for my professor to ask me.  You see, I think she knew I am a pretty driven individual.  She knew I would be able to clearly articulate my professional and ministry goals.   However, my personal goals were more difficult to identify.  After much thought and contemplation I have come up with my personal goal for the next year:

I want to simplify.

I want to go back to the days of dress up, tadpoles and blackberry pie.

This is the year.  Rather than focusing on the “next thing”, I am purposing to have the “next thing”….nothing.  I want to….

Simply be.

This blog is going to be a documentation of those simple experiences and simple thoughts and simple enjoyable things in life…

…much like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. I love the title you chose and why you chose it. Such good reminders! I remember some good "simple" times we had at Emmaus - coffee on the riverwalk, mario's, 80's night, the Ducks... So many good memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Janelle, this is a very nice read. I am sitting in my office at 3:33 am for the very reasons you list. I love the "universal silence" that I can find in the middle of the night when all the world around me is quiet. I can hear God in the stillness. As I read your thoughts, I was reminded of Paul's concern for his disciples "But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ." 2 Cor 11:3 NAS. I think I will now go satisfy my sudden hankering for a P&B sandwich. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete