Saturday, June 11, 2011

spinning in circles


spinning vs. running...which is better?

Running has been something that I have enjoyed since I was about 17 years old.  I remember the first time I chose to go for a run (rather than being required for P.E. class).  A friend and I ran around my neighborhood…probably totaling about one mile. :)  This initial run was tough, however; it was the run that caused me to realize that I enjoy everything about running.


I enjoy…

the steady sound of my feet tapping against the pavement.
the feeling of sweat accumulating at the top of my forehead.
the sound of my music blaring through my ipod.
the various sights that I can see along the journey.
the ability to get lost in my thoughts without any interruption.
and taste of ice-cold water after a good, long run.

Running is simply therapeutic.

Consequently, I believe that it is one of the most effective ways to relieve stress. 





As a result of my love for running, I had a goal in life to run in a race. This year I decided to accomplish this goal.  I ran in both a 5k and an 8k in Chicago, IL.





In November I ran in the Turkey Trot (8K)





In April I ran in the Bunny Hop (5K)


Now that I have completed my graduate studies, I desire to get back in shape and make exercise a priority once again.  Although I have a great love for running, this month I tried a new form of exercise to begin this process.  I am quickly falling in love with everything about this new cardio workout.

Spinning.

You might better understand spinning as cycling using a stationary bike.  Spinning instructors bring you on a cycling route each day which includes hills (up and down), long and short flats, muddy roads, and windy streets. These classes match your peddling to the cadence of the music, which is being played over the sound system.  Combining the intensity of the music with the energy found from all the others in class results in an incredible workout.

I am dripping sweat by the end of the class.

I thoroughly enjoy both running and spinning. I decided to do a little research to see if one was better for you or more effective.

Here is what I found:

Running:
  • works out the entire body (legs, core and upper body)
  • shapes and tones your entire body as it is working against your own body weight
  • requires endurance
  • about 680 calories is burned an hour (at a 10 mile per hour rate)
  • places strain on bones and joints
  • all you need is a good pair of running shoes and a road (and in my opinion…an ipod in necessary as well)

Spinning:
  • builds strength in the lower body (specifically glutes, quads, and hamstrings)
  • your core is engaged during spinning
  • high intensity activity
  • 590 calories is burned an hour during a spinning class
  • easier on your joints--a low-impact exercise
  • a spinning bike and a good pair of shoes are needed (and a GOOD spinning instructor)

If you look at the information, it could really be argued either way.  I think it really comes down to one’s personal preference and what you, individually, will be more disciplined in regularly performing.

At the moment I am partial to spinning.  However, as I type this, I am cooling down from a good run. I just got back from a run, which provided me time to think, pray and choose my music (something spin does not allow) and….I came back refreshed.

So which one is better?!?!

You will just have to try both and then decide. :)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE. Except I am soooo not a runner, and I never really have been. It is something that both Christian and I would love to pick up (something that we could do together in the mornings before he goes to class, I to work, etc). Thanks for the lists, Janelle!

    ReplyDelete