Saturday, June 18, 2011

Princess Party on a Budget


My good friend, Wendy, has two adorable girls named Isabelle and Kindra.  This week I planned a princess party for these little kiddos and a few of their friends. There was no particular reason for the party.  It was simply to give them something special to look forward to.  For days I heard, “Princess Party?  When is the Princess Party!?”.

It turned out to be such a perfect, simple afternoon.


At first, I was unsure how to execute such a party.  I have planned countless activities for college students, high school students and even large formal events, however; I have very limited experience planning children’s parties.  Additionally, I put myself on a tight budget.  I wanted this party to be inexpensive while still making it a special and memorable time.




Princess Tea:

We began the day with a princess tea.  The day before a friend and I made fairy-tale land cupcakes.  After being formally welcomed to the tea and handed flowers (cut from Wendy’s garden) the girls felt like royal guests.  Total Expense: $9.00






Games & Activities:
 
Snow White’s Poisoned Apple
Princess music played while the girls passed around an apple.  When the music stopped, whoever was holding snow white’s poisonous apple had to go to sleep.  The girls loved this one.  Total Expense: $0.50


Pin the Crown on the Princess

I had been given a canvas with three Disney princesses pictured on it for free (some friends moved from Dubuque last week and gave a lot of items away). I then made little crowns out of cardstock and glitter pens.  I put the girls initials on each crown.  The girls were blindfolded, spun around and then they had to attempt to pin the crown on the princess.  Total Expense: $0.00

Princess and the Pea
I read the girls the story of the princess and the pea.  Once the story was read I had the girls exit the room.  I placed five pillows on the ground and a tennis ball under one of the pillows.  I then had the girls come back in the room.  They each sat on the pillows and guessed what pillow had the pea under it. Total Expense: $0.00

Princess Stories
I read two different princess stories that were checked out from the library. 

The Princess and the Pea: By Hans Christian Anderson (went with the game)

The Princess and the Three Kings: by Karen Kingsbury (has a biblical lesson about true love)
Total Expense: $0.00




Prizes:

Each girl was given a ring if they won a game. Each girl won at least two rings by the end of the party. Total Expense: $1.00





Craft:

I purchased pre-made crowns from the dollar store.  The girls decorated these crowns with glitter, ribbon and paper.  Total Expense: $1.00





It was a very simple party but the girls had a great time!

1 comment: