Saturday, June 4, 2011

Domesticated Woman


It is complete! 



A few weeks ago I began working on a blanket using old Emmaus Bible College t-shirts. I am thrilled to say that I completed this project today!


When I first began this blanket, I failed to realize the significant amount of time that it would take to finish such a project.  My friend, Laura Strautmann, probably laughed when she got my initial text saying: “What do you think about helping me make my t-shirt blanket this Sunday afternoon?”

Little did I know that this project would take over 17 hours to complete (and that is with TWO people working as though they are factory employees!!).

In order to finish this project in a timely manner, Laura and I decided to have a blanket-making marathon.

Today we woke up and began blanket-making at 9:00am.  We began this marathon while sipping on freshly brewed starbucks pikes roast coffee.  It was quite the perfect morning with Colbie Caillat and JJ Heller playing in the background.

However, despite the perfect setting, I had a few jitters.  The day began with the need for me to learn how to use a sewing machine.



I was very intimidated by this task.  Fortunately, I had a great instructor.  Laura taught me everything I needed to know to successfully complete my Emmaus blanket. 



Despite the great instructions that I had been given, there were a few mistakes along the way.

Thankfully, I learned that it is true what they say: “any mistake done on the sewing machine can be undone”.  Once I learned this fact, I was able to more confidently approach the machine.

We finished this project well after dinner-time, however; every minute was enjoyable!



A Lesson Learned:
I must admit an error in my thinking that I carried with me for many years.  Prior to this project I was of the opinion that most craft project cost more (time and money) than they are worth.

I was wrong.

The beauty of this project is that I was able to get all the supplies at a really good price (if not free!). 

Total Expense:
fabric: FREE! (old t-shirts)
thread: $3.92 (40% off at joannes fabric store)
quilt batting: $15.59 (40% off at joannes fabric store)
time spent learning how to use a sewing machine: priceless. (sorry, I couldn’t resist :) ) 

It did take many hours to complete this project, however, I am so thankful for every moment.  I was able to make a meaningful blanket and in the process learn how to sew. Thanks, Laura, for all your help and fun as I made my Emmaus Blanket!

I am now a domesticated women…and have the perfect blanket to sit on as I cheer for the Emmaus Soccer team!  Go Emmaus!


2 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Janelle! I love how you integrated all the t-shirts. The finished product is awesome. And I really like how you had Colbie Caillat as your background music for some of it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blanket looks awesome! What an accomplishment! It's good to see the Harlow One "Yee-haw" shirt in there:)

    ReplyDelete